Named for the Korean words for “fire” and “meat,” bool kogi starts with thin slices of rib-eye, which are marinated in a sweet-salty blend of soy sauce, brown sugar, Asian pear, garlic, ginger, ground black pepper and sesame oil.
Once marinated it is served to cook on a charcoal grill on a brazier at your table.
Served with some steamed rice and with other Korean side dishes, including Korean ssamjang (Korean bbq dipping sauce) and some kimchi (pickled cabbage).
To enjoy this dish, the grilled beef is wrapped in lettuce leaves with grilled garlic and adding the kimchi. Once rolled, enjoy by dipping in the ssamjang sauce.
This authentic Korean recipe calls for the addition of gochujang sauce, a traditional Korean sauce. This sauce has a bold sweet/spicy/umami flavor with an underlying funk. It is readily available in most Asian grocery stores throughout the world.
Bool Kogi recipeCourse: MainCuisine: KoreanDifficulty: Easy
- Bool Kogi
400g Beef Rib Eye
2 bulbs finely minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
2 tablespoons Soy sauce
2 tablespoons of Sake
1 asian pear or red apple
2 teaspoons of Gochujang Sauce
2 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- To Serve
½ brown onion diced
½ carrot Diced
150g Bean sprouts
1/2 bunch Chinese chive – chopped
1 tablespoon of white sesame seeds
Sesame oil (for finishing)
Store bought Korean Kimchi to serve
Steamed Rice to serve with.
Lettuce leaves to serve.
- Wrap meat tightly in cling wrap and place beef into freezer and let meat partially freeze – 1hr. This will make the meat easier to cut.
- Remove the meat from the freezer and remove the cling wrap. Slice the meat thinly across the grain. Ideal thickness is 2mm to 3mm (1/8 inch). Place in a bowl.
- Blend the marinade ingredients in a mixer or food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Add Marinade to bowl of beef and mix well until combined and meat is well covered.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and marinate the meat for at least 4 hours in the fridge. (Marinating overnight produces a better result).
- In a hot heavy frying pan or bbq plate add oil and fry the chopped carrots and onion until softened, then add the beansprouts continuously stirring, add the marinated beef still stirring until beef is browned.
- Add 1/2 bunch of chopped Chinese chive, white sesame and sesame oil at the end and fry for one minute.
- Remove pan from heat and transfer beef to a serving plate. And garnish with white sesame seeds.
- Served with some steamed rice and kimchi (pickled cabbage) and lettuce leaves.
- To enjoy this dish, the grilled beef is wrapped in lettuce leaves adding the kimchi.
- Once rolled, enjoy by dipping in the ssamjang sauce (Korean bbq dipping sauce).